Fensecure was established in 1918 as John Knowles (Wednesbury) Ltd by B.C. Knowles and J.J. Knowles. John Knowles (Wednesbury) were tube fittings manufacturers. It wasn’t until John Knowles were bought out by Tipper Brothers in the 1960’s that Fensecure came into its own. Using the tube fittings which we were specialists in, the Classic range of tubular fencing systems was born. From there it was a small stepping stone to being one of the country’s leading fencing manufacturers, which we are today.
Steelway was founded in 1928 at the Queensgate Works site in Wolverhampton by C.W. Goodyear. The original products that the company produced doesn’t much differ from today with the exception of weed burners and domestic household products. The weed burners were manufactured on Steelway’s behalf by T.E. Bladon & Sons Ltd, Birmingham. In 1931 Steelway merged with F Hammond & Co who who were established manufacturers of handrail standards. Mr Hammond joined the board of directors. On the board of directors were Mr. F.H. Clark (Chairman), Mr. J.E. Bettles (Director) and Miss E.K. Holbrook (Secretary). The company was associated with J Brockhouse & Co Ltd of West Bromwich. Steelway were the sole selling agents of drop forged handrail standards manufactured by J Brockhouse & Co and in turn Mr. J.V.H. Brockhouse was the selling agent in London for all Steelway products.
saw the launch of the Steelway pedestrian guard rail. After long and
careful experiment with the co-operation and assistance of the Chief
Constable of Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton’s Borough Engineer &
Surveyor, the first pedestrian safety barrier was successfully installed
at a busy junction in Wolverhampton. This was due to an accident
involving a boy and the barriers were installed to prevent pedestrians
walking off a blind corner into the path of motorists. Following on from
this success, Steelway manufactured London’s first safety barriers at
Britannia Crossing, Camden Town. These were inaugurated on 19th March
1935 by Mr Hore-Belisha, Minster of Transport. A second installation was
carried out at Whitechapel Crossing for the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney on 22nd March 1935.